NBA President Issues Directive on SARS Reform to all Lawyers
Below is a call for memoranda from the NBA President to all lawyers.
21st September, 2018.
To: All NBA Branches and Members
PRESIDENTIAL PANEL ON REFORM OF THE
SPECIAL ANTI-ROBBERY SQUAD (SARS):
CALL FOR MEMORANDA/NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
We recently received the attached self-explanatory letter dated 11th September, 2018 from the Human Rights Commission and consider it meet to circulate it to all our Branches and Members for their attention and due action. According to the letter, “the National Human Rights Commission has constituted a Special Investigation Panel to investigate allegations of human rights violations against operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) of the Nigeria Police following request to that effect by the Presidency”.
The Commission is, by this letter, requesting for memoranda from NBA members and “branches nationwide … on any of the Panel’s terms of reference” as set out in the letter. The memoranda, according to the letter, must be prepared in accordance with the template contained therein. Concerning the deadline for the submission of the memoranda, at our instance, the applicable deadline for NBA branches and members has been extended by the Commission to Friday, 28th September, 2018 as against the deadline of “Friday, 22nd September, 2018” that is stipulated in the Commission’s letter.
We encourage all NBA members and branches to take full advantage of this request for memoranda and also plan to attend the subsequent Public Hearings that would be conducted by the Commission on the SARS subject matter.
Paul Usoro, SAN FCIArb
Nigerian Bar Association
11th September, 2018
Nigerian Bar Association
PRESIDENTIAL PANEL ON REFORM OF THE SPECIAL ANTIROBBERY SQUAD (SARS): CALL FOR MEMORANDA/NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
The National Human Rights Commission has constituted a Special Investigation Panel to investigate allegations of human rights violations against operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) of the Nigeria Police following request to that effect by the Presidency. Membership of the Panel is drawn from the National Human Rights Commission, the Civil Society and other relevant government agencies.
- The terms of reference of the Presidential Panel are to:
- Investigate the veracity of allegations of human rights violations and abuse of power made against SARS within the last two years;
- Independently review and render advice on any value added by SARS from a public safety and security perspective; and
- Make recommendations to government on:
- The steps that may be taken to reform or restructure SARS;
- Measures to be taken in respect of operatives of SARS, if any, found in violation of human rights of citizens;
- Remedial steps that may enhance the professional conduct of SARS operatives and other members of the Nigeria Police; and
- Any other recommendations that may be considered appropriate.
- In view of the above, I am directed to, on behalf of the Panel request the NBA to submit a memorandum to the Panel. The NBA may also forward complaints, if any on allegations of human rights violations by operatives of SARS. We also request the National NBA to direct its branches nationwide to submit memoranda on all or any of the Panel’s terms of reference using the following template:
- Name, Address, Email, Telephone of complainant/victim,
- Nature of Human Rights Violation,
- Name of Alleged Violator (SARS Officials),
- Rank (if any),
- Unit (of SARS officials),
- Location(s) of Violation (where violation occurred),
- Command (of SARS officials, where known),
- Zone (of SARS officials),
- Date of incident(s),
- Facts of Violation,
- Whether reported elsewhere before and if so, the outcome,
- Supporting documents attached,
- Other material(s) or evidence,
- Any Suggestions for reform of SARS/NPF,
- Signature/thumbprint of complainant/victim
- Please, note that the Special Investigation Panel is constituted pursuant to relevant provisions of the National Human Rights Commission Act of 1995, as amended. The procedure of the Presidential Panel shall also be guided by the National Human Rights Commission Act 1995, as amended and its Standing Orders and Rules of Procedure (2013) as well as other relevant rules of procedure as may be deemed appropriate by the Panel.
- Memoranda should be submitted in twelve (12) copies and not later than Friday 22nd September, 2018. The Memoranda should be sent by email or post or deposited at the headquarters of the
Commission at No. 19, Aguiyi Ironsi Street, Maitama, Abuja or any of the Zonal or State offices of the Commission (Please find attached list) and addressed to:
For further enquires kindly contact Aghware Cordelia on 08160497341
- Please accept the Commission’s warmest regards.
THE FOLLOWING ARE THE ADDRESSES OF THE NATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION, STATE AND ZONAL
- North Central Zonal Office
Plot 12677, Laminga/Liberty Dam Road,
Opp. Civic Registration Office Rikkos Village, Jos Plateau State.
Tel: 08033452345 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- North West Zonal Office Plot 313, Gyadi-Gyadi Road,
Opp. Mai. Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Kano,
- North East Zonal Office 4 Bama Road, Maiduguri Borno State
Tel: 08067833036 Email: email@example.com
- South East Zonal Office
No. 3 Ezeagu Street, New Heaven Enugu,
Tel: 08033473732 firstname.lastname@example.org
- South South Zonal Office
No. 2 Temple Ejekwa Close, Off PH/Aba Expressway,
- Akwa Ibom State
No. 160 Nwaniba Road Uyo
Akwa Ibom State
- Sokoto State Investment House Kano Road Sokoto State
- Niger State Abdullahi Kure House Muazu Mohammed Road (Old Airport Road)
- Cross River State
No. 39 Okoro Agbor,
Cross River State.
- Katsina Office
No. 3, Nagogo Road,
GRA, Katsina Katsina State
- Gombe Office
No. 15, Buhari Housing Estate
- Nasarawa State
Old Lafia Hotel By Government House Shendam Road,
- Edo State
No. 41 A 2nd East,
Benin Edo State
Tel: 08028766870 Email:email@example.com
- Kwara State
No. 3 Old Jebba Road,
Opposite Ministry of Agriculture, Ilorin,
- Kaduna State
Muhammadu Buhari Way,
Formerly No. 14 Waff Road, Kaduna Kaduna State
- Ekiti State
Iyin Road, Basiri,
- Osun State
Block L Plot 33, Oroki Housing Estate,
- Ondo State
Road M. House No. 62nd Gate, Oba-Ile Housing Estate Old Airport Road,
Click>>> HERE >>>to advertise with us
Win your Court cases today, Get Affordable Supreme Court Law Reports >> CLICK HERE
Get all the decisions of the Court of Appeal with a CLICK...... Visit Court of Appeal Reports Nigeria.
BESTSELLER: Get A-Z of contemporary laws of ELECTRONIC EVIDENCE in Nigeria By Alaba Omolaye-Ajileye. To ORDER, sms or call : +2347063666998, +2348159307051 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Supreme Court Judgments on Lands (1907-2013) and Nigerian Company Law Cases (1945-2016) are going for 90k each set instead of 120k per set.The Reports contain valuable and uncommon locus classicus for Legal research, opinion, and advocacy. Grab your copy now!!! Call 09091130714 or 07084004038